2013. október 15., kedd

Stop saying: *I will late

Many Hungarians, and quite frankly many of the people whose English I'm trying to improve week by week, make this tiny mistake which really puts bad light on their overall level of English. This is the mistake of using the adjective 'late' as a verb... 

 
Sure, we could argue and reason like "English is a self-modernizing language", or "language elements morph into each other all the time, there is nothing wrong with that", but to put things into their right place: knowingly altering conventional language use for better, more colorful communication is one (fantastic!) thing, but using linguistic devices badly is completely different (bad) idea. It puts your reputation as a foreign language user into danger. 


The word 'late' is not especially difficult to learn to command. 

This is a good, well-formed sentence (which I sent to my student to let her know that she will have to wait for me because of a traffic jam I got stuck in):

"Dear #####, I'm sorry, I'll be 7-10 min late due to an enormous traffic jam on Rákóczi."  


Notice what I write: I + WILL BE + LATE, or more grammatically: the SUBJECT of the sentence is becoming something in the future, or easier to say: shall have a different STATE in the future.


What other people say (badly):

I'm sorry for *late >> correction: I'm sorry for being late

I will *late >> correction: I will be late
Yesterday my bus *was lated >> correction: Yesterday my bus was late.

In short: do not use 'late' as a verb and people will know you have a solid knowledge of the language. ;)

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése